Medical travel insurance abroad: coverage and benefits
🛅 Buy Travel Medical Insurance for each of your flights and for your health. If you take out insurance from MineBooking you save 10%
With Covid-19 coverage included!
To find the perfect insurance for you, do click on the links in red on this page.
If you are planning a vacation abroad for business or pleasure, having travel health insurance is essential.
By purchasing travel medical insurance, you will be covered against emergency evacuation and medical expenses and travel insurance will cover; Trip interruptions or cancellations, loss of passport or wallet, lost luggage and more.
Travel medical insurance protects you in the event of illness or injury when you travel outside your country of residence. It provides you with key medical benefits in an emergency.
Traveling abroad is pleasant, but unforeseeable illnesses and accidents can occur, or medical expenses can be expensive. The level of international medical coverage provided by your national insurer can vary greatly according to your plan, so you may have very limited or even no coverage.
Travel health insurance is ideal for:
- International vacationers
- Visiting relatives from abroad
- Travelers on cruises, safaris or guided tours
- International business travelers
- Students studying abroad
The difference between international health insurance and travel insurance
International Health Insurance designed to provide a comprehensive level of health care to those moving from their home country for an extended period of time, while travel insurance provides coverage for emergency care while you & egrave; in another country for a longer period of time; short.
What is travel insurance?
Travel Insurance covers you for trips of limited duration, such as a vacation or business trip. It is intended for short-term trips abroad and offers protection against problems such as:
- Flight or tour cancellations
- Loss of baggage
- Loss of personal effects
- Emergency medical care
In terms of medical coverage, travel health insurance provides you with short-term emergency medical care within the specified area or coverage period. Travel insurance rarely covers long-term medical care.
If further treatment is required, you are usually expected to return to your home country. Coverage ends once you return to your country of residence.
What is international health insurance?
International health insurance is aimed at those who live or work abroad for an extended period of time. It covers both emergency and routine treatment and offers expatriates flexibility in their choice of doctor and treatment facility, with the ability to receive treatment anywhere within their coverage region.
If you are moving or if you have a home abroad where you spend a lot of time, international health insurance may be required.
In the event of a medical emergency, or even routine medical care, in a country where you are unfamiliar with the health system and where the language is not spoken, international health insurance coverage will guarantee you medical assistance of you need.
The benefits of international health insurance vary by plan, but often include:
- Routine medical check-ups
- Coverage for pre-existing medical conditions
- Chronic Illness Coverage
- Choice of medical service providers
- Tests and treatments such as x-rays, blood tests and anesthetics
- Emergency dental care
Benefits of travel medical insurance
It is advisable to have complete travel medical insurance to avoid potential risks associated with the purchase of travel insurance.
They are policies that offer countless benefits to the policyholder, including emergency evacuation, repatriation benefits, lost baggage benefits, accident medical insurance, health insurance, accident life insurance, natural disaster benefits, and trip cancellation.
- Knowing that you have accident coverage will allow you; to worry less during the vacation. When you know you are covered against the main risks, you can travel with complete peace of mind; and make the most of your holiday.
- If you are the victim of a foreign theft and have lost your wallet or valuables, you may receive immediate assistance in obtaining cash or another liquidation service from the company. of insurance.
- Knowing that you are protected in the event of an emergency evacuation following political unrest. Most travel insurance plans include international assistance and arrangements for medical or emergency evacuation of travelers.
- Your travel health insurance policy offers you comprehensive financial protection against many types of risks when traveling abroad.
Why do you need travel health insurance?
However, with a travel medical insurance plan, you can worry less, knowing that you have medical coverage and a trusted health advisor who can support you in your time of need.
If you are studying or working abroad, visiting family in another country or even going on vacation, it is a good idea to purchase travel medical insurance.
Travel health insurance is not just for those who are vulnerable to disease: medical problems can happen to anyone and are often unexpected. So even if you are currently in good health, there is likely to be an insurance plan for you.
Whatever your favorite activity to do abroad or even in Italy, whether it is scuba diving or mountain biking, you can examine special types of insurance for the different types of activities you want to try. If the ski slopes are your next destination, you can take out specific insurance for winter sports to cover any accidents.
Factors that determine the cost of travel insurance
How much does travel medical insurance cost?
The cost of an insurance plan varies based on many factors, including:
- Traveler's age: age is one of the primary factors that determines the costs of travel insurance. Each plan has a complete breakdown of insurance rates based on age that you can find in the plan's brochure.
- Destination: Medical bills vary around the world. To provide the best balance between coverage and costs, the plan's coverage rates may be different for a traveler visiting the United States than for a traveler to a destination where healthcare is cheaper.
- Trip Duration: A breakdown of the daily and monthly rates can be found in the brochures of the plan you will choose. If you need long-term coverage (1 year or more), ask your insurance company about the various plans available.
When is travel health insurance necessary?
Some countries may require travel medical insurance to gain entry.
Traveling in Schengen countries: they require a visa to prove that they have travel medical insurance to cover repatriation costs, urgent medical care, emergency hospital care and more.
You may also be required to purchase travel medical insurance according to the purpose of the trip. The United States, for example, requires anyone traveling on a J1 or J2 visa to maintain a certain level of medical coverage for the duration of their stay.
However, if you are visiting the US on a B2 visa, it is; only a travel medical insurance plan is recommended.
A Travelers undertaking other trips, such as organized tours, working holiday programs, mission trips and cruises, may also be required to purchase coverage.
What are the different types of travel health insurance policies?
Both the type of travel and the type of coverage determine which medical travel policy has the most; sense. You will need to become familiar with it. with four terms:
- Primary coverage
- Secondary cover
- Single trip
Primary and secondary coverage
Travel medical insurance plans will refer to medical coverage as primary or secondary.
- Primary health coverage means that you can file a claim with your travel medical insurance company before submitting it to any other insurer.
- Secondary health coverage means that you will need to submit your claim to your primary insurer before you can claim travel insurance.
If your travel medical insurance is; primary, you can pay your medical bill with your credit card and then file a claim directly with the travel insurer.
However, if your travel medical coverage is; secondary, you must first submit this request to your medical insurer, even if they may deny the request (because policies limit coverage abroad).
Single or multi-trip coverage
- Single trip coverage : You travel abroad alone and return home. You can visit as many countries as you like during the trip, but when you get home, the coverage ends. These plans are purchased for every trip, regardless of whether you are away for four days or four weeks.
- Multi-trip coverage : You can leave, travel and come home as many times as you want during the covered period. You can, for example, leave home, travel to Norway for a week, go home for a month, travel to Panama for 3 weeks and go home. The coverage continues regardless of the number of times you come home, as long as you & eacute; each trip does not exceed the permitted period (usually 30 to 90 days).
How do I use travel medical insurance?
If you experience a medical emergency while traveling, please contact your travel insurance to find out how to proceed. You will likely have to pay your medical bills using your credit card and then file a claim with the insurer.
Some coverages (such as emergency evacuation) may need to be arranged by your travel medical insurance provider in order to be eligible for reimbursement. So, in all cases, & egrave; It's best to contact your insurance provider before making arrangements or paying your bills.
What you need to know about limits, exclusions and deductibles
Similar to your regular health insurance, travel medical coverage also has limits, exclusions and deductibles.
- Exclusions are specific events excluded from coverage. For example, some plans may exclude business coverage. (such as skydiving) deemed risky. Make sure that the activities you plan to participate in are not excluded.
- Limits are monetary limits to coverage. For example, the policy may & ograve; cover emergency dental treatment, but only up to a certain cost.
- A deductible is; an amount you must pay before your policy is refunded. For example, if you have a policy with a deductible of 250 euros and you submit claims for eligible expenses for a total of 400, the insurer will reimburse you. only 150.
Travel insurance with coronavirus coverage
Coronavirus travel health insurance primarily provides medical coverage while traveling outside your home country and includes COVID-19 coverage just like any other eligible medical condition after the policy's effective date .
What does COVID19 travel health insurance include?
- Medical Tests: If you have been infected with COVID-19 while traveling and after the effective date of the policy, your travel insurance plan will cover; medical tests required if prescribed by a doctor.
- Treatment for COVID-19: COVID-19 treatment will be; covered like any other eligible disease that occurs after the poly's effective date and during the trip.
- Cancellation: If you get a positive coronavirus test in the 2 weeks prior to travel.
- Additional costs of transportation and / or accommodation if you fall ill with coronavirus while you are away.
Not all policies offer this type of coverage. So make sure your insurance company offers you this coverage.